Friday, August 26, 2011

Postcard from PAX: The Best Revenge is Living Awkwardly

One thing I've always appreciated about PAX is that the attendees are so darned normal. We're all nerds, sure, but the show is packed with folks who are basically just regular dudes and ladies chilling out and having a good time with friends. Unlike E3, Comic-Con, or even TGS, you rarely come into contact with high-strung basement-dwellers who are more concerned with racking up a suitcase full of free swag than with trivialities like "bathing" or "basic social graces." PAX is the essence of "laid back."

That said, you stick this many geeks together and you're bound to encounter your share of awkward moments. Like here on the plane, where the aisle seat of my row went unoccupied, yet the guy in the middle seat didn't scoot over to give us both more elbow room. Instead, he set up the empty outside seat as his personal snack bar, stretching out in luxury while leaving me uncomfortably wedged between him, the window, and the fully reclined dude in front of me.

I wondered to myself, "Who on earth would fail to observe such basic airplane etiquette? Who wouldn't spread out, given the chance? Who does that?" Then he whipped out a DS Lite and started playing Sonic Colors, and I realized this was a disgruntled Sonic fan getting back at me for that episode of Retronauts. Well played, Internet.

free pc games history of video games new video games online games pc game reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment