Monday, February 28, 2011

GDC 2011: This Lunch Reminds Me of High School

The 2011 Game Developers Conference kicked off this morning at a convention center about two blocks from 1UP HQ. As with every year, boxed lunch is provided to attendees and media. If you ask me, you'd have to be some kind of damned fool to pass up a free meal.

Bouncers guard the doors to make sure no freeloaders or double dippers get through. When you get your badge, you get one coupon for each day, which you must give up to even get into the room.

Today's selections included a veggie wrap and two kinds of meaty sandwiches: ham and cheese (pictured) and turkey (not pictured).

Getting lunch is easy, but finding a place to sit is not. There are plenty of places to sit, sure, but choosing the RIGHT table is simultaneously the most difficult and most vital part of the GDC experience. You end up walking around the room, trying to find someone you recognize while at the same time trying to avoid eye contact so you don't end up having to sit by someone you don't like. This is my sixth GDC, and I'm still not very good at it. Like high school, I usually just end up sitting alone and hoping for the best.

I ended up with the veggie wrap because I don't like ham or turkey very much. And I got a diet root beer mostly for the novelty factor.

Just after I sat down, a British indie developer sat across from me with this awesome looking roast beef and caramelized onion sandwich. Where was that, I wonder? Tomorrow I shall be much more careful with my lunch screening process.

Sent from my iPhone


online games pc game reviews pc games download pc games list pc games strategy

No comments:

Post a Comment